The progenitor of the Urciullo
family is Giuseppe Urciullo.
By his descendants it has been established that:
From Giuseppe Gurciullo and Teresa Vasile of Sortino (SR
Italy) in the year 1826 Vincenzo Gurciullo was born. The young Vincenzo
married Maria Manfré, born in Sortino in the year 1828, daughter of Guglielmo
and Concetta Muré. From Vincenzo and Maria's matrimony, five daughters
and one son were born in Sortino: Concetta, Pasqua, Francesco, Angela, Giovanna and
Vincenza. The great grandfather Vincenzo, moved to Solarino (SR Italy) around 1865,
probably for employment reasons. As a result of a clerical error at Solarino's City Hall,
his last name was changed and recorded as "Urciullo", the same surname that his
twin sons Paolo and Giuseppe were recorded. Paolo died six months after birth; Giuseppe is
the progenitor of the Urciullo's of Solarino.
On July 30, 1891 grandfather "Piddu" (nickname for Giuseppe) married Provvidenza
De Santis. From their matrimony the following siblings were born in Solarino: Vincenzo,
Paolo, Paolino, Concetta, Maria, Giuseppa, Francesco and Giuseppe.
Francesco Urciullo and Corradina Amatore are the parents of Umberto, the person dedicated
to the reconstruction of the genealogical tree, helped by siblings, relatives and friends,
who received and embraced wholeheartedly all this work of pedantic research, with the hope
that the descendants, with good will, will continue and carry on this endeavor helping
cement the families ties, that time, unfortunately, tends to weaken.
The original surname Gurciullo, it seems was imported from Spain around 1300-1400 by some
Spanish soldier with the occupation (or colonization) forces of king Alfonso III
Surname originates from the city of Amantea (Cosenza Italy). Ancient patrician family
known for feudal landholders and important high positions held. Around 1400 it branched
out in Sicily, having, among others, the barony of Rocca Guglielmina. Since 1551 it was
received many times by the order of Malta.
The surname Amatore, originally from Noto (SR Italy) came to Solarino around 1923-24 with
the arrival of the two brothers Paolo and Santo, stonecutters that contracted the carving
of the facades of Solarino city hall and the hospital G. Vasquez.